In July of 1958, a small group of people met at Glean Maura Farm in Ashland MA and formed the Tanheath Hunt Club. David and Virigia Sibson, their children Jane, Ann, Mike, Bill, Pete and Steve, and Peter Gage, Mary Sanborn, Bill Albin, and a few others suggested names for the new club and finally arrived at Tanheath.
Mary Sanborn served as the Master on the first staff, with David Sibson as the first Field Master and Bill Albin as the first Huntsman. Peter Gage and Jane Sibson were the first and second Whips.
Although there was no treasury, the Club was incorporated in 1959 through the kindness of Attorney Frances Cove II of Uxbridge MA. In 1960, the Club was granted colors by the National Beagle Club.
From 1958 to 1966, a beagle pack of 10-12 couples of hounds was hunted. During this period, the annual Blessing of the Hounds was held in Ashland MA.
In 1967, when Master Bill Albin moved to southern RI, the hunt almost fell apart. First Whip, Charles Kilcline was prevailed upon to accept the thankless position as Master and hunted the hounds until 1972. At this time, the beagles were lost to foxhounds, and Charlie to the pressure of other interests.
Tanheath’s hunting fields had swelled to 60 people, with a record of 78 in the field for one Blessing of the Hounds at Lynbrook Farm in Southboro MA. The little beagles could no longer work in front of such a group!In 1972 & 1973, Frances Cove II and Joseph Lombard, a foxhunter for 20 years and Whip with Tanheath for 4 years, were prevailed upon to serve as Joint Masters.
In 1974, Mr. Lombard took over the position of Master , with his wife, June Lombard, serving a Joint Master. The kennel was moved from Uxbrige to Medway MA. Mr. Lombard started a long program to develop his pack – with excellent results.
In 1979, Mr Lombard retired as Master and Huntsman. Mrs. Margaret Mathews succeeded him. The hounds were kenneled in MIllis MA unti 1982 when they were relocated to Franklin MA.
In 1984 the Tanheath Hunt became recognized by the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America.
Mrs. Mathews continued to hunt the hounds through 1990, when she stepped own and Whipper-in Susan Boone assumed the honor.
The hounds moved to temporary kennels in Hopkinton MA at the home of past Master, Harold Schmidt. Master Susan Boone built permanent kennels at her home in Putnam CT in 1997 where she became kennelman as well.
Throughout the following years, Gary Hawkins, Melanie Chace, and Donna Hannigan all served as Joint Masters at various times.
Bill Wentworth was elected Joint Master in 2008. In April 2014, Cathy Leinert was elected as Joint Master and Susan Boone resigned. The club re-incorporated in CT, and voted to change from the last live hunt in New England to a drag hunt. Sherri Colby, who had served as Whipper-in, was appointed Huntsman. A brand new kennel is being constructed in Franklin, CT, close to our fixtures. Current members hail from Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts.